Re: Cbus/comfort/x10

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@u...>= wrote:
> Hi Max,
>

>            = ; Couple of points ...
>

>            = ; Firstly why not use one of Comforts outputs to drive a
relay to
> switch your heating ON and OFF =96 at least that way it is a
confirmed On and
> OFF action =96 X10 (IMHO) is really not dependable enough for this sort of
> important switching. Or you could use a Comfort relay board. If you do this
> you could use the same output to show the ON/OFF state with an led and you
> could wire an ordinary switch into one of Comforts zone inputs to
switch it.

>            = ; Secondly =96 if you must use an X10 module then you could
use a
> neon indicator on the output to show the status of the heating.
>
>            = ; Lastly =96 yes you can work with virtual outputs on C-Bus
so you
> could set up something that watches one of C-Bus's groups and have a Neo or
> an ordinary switch reflect the correct state =96 and also send a
command to
> Comfort to change the state =96 but to have this relayed out on X10 seems to
> introduce a `maybe' into the equation. Plus you will need to buy a switch
> and an RS232 interface plus the Comfort C-Bus UCM which adds up to some =A3500
> roughly just to achieve this, seems like an expensive option. The
more C-Bus
> units you plan on purchasing the more the programming interface
(RS232) cost
> becomes spread.
>
>            = ; Kevin

A combination of your "firstly" and "thirdly" seem like= a good idea.
The whole x10 part comes from having a spare appliance switch and it
being a 5 minute job to wire it in.

Currently on early planning stages of all this. Still gathering
information on what I'll need (well, don't really need, but want a
new toy anyway!). Comfort is 100%, and if I decide on cbus, the RS232
interface and comfort UCM would probobly be installed anyway, so
wouldn't really be =A3500 just to switch on the heating.

With cbus, I could program a switch in each of the high traffic rooms
(living room, kitchen and bedroom) to show status/switch the central
heating state. With x10+LED I'd have to cable for a switch and LED
and cbus.