Re: Tivo SCART control...

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@h...> wrote:
> This will be, I presume, exactly the same as turning it off in the
menu...

> I'd still like Tivo to have control over the input switching, just
not to be
> quite so greed about it... Ideally, Tivo would assert the scart
function
> switching pin (pin 8 is it?) whenever it needed to switch the
input, but
> then *release* the pin straight away... - e.g. assert pin 8
momentarily,
> rather than permanently... I presume this would switch the TV when
the pin
> was high, and would (hopefully), leave the TV in the new mode when
it was
> released, (so that the TV wouldn't automatically revert back to its
internal
> tuner straight away...)
>
> I'm sure I have seen other devices behave like this... they will
switch the
> TV to the correct SCART input when "play" is pressed, but I can
still change
> the TV to another input if I want to... If I press "stop"
then "play" again
> on the player, then the TV will switch again... and so on... This
suggests
> that these devices use the scart switching signal momentarily, but
then
> release it once the input has been switched, so that control
returns to me,
> and override is available...
>
> any thoughts?

I don't think there is an elegant hardware solution to this problem,
since you will need the TiVo to re-assert control periodically (when
you go to the main TiVo menu perhaps?). It's a relatively low-level
software hack, and I'd guess that the information required to do it
isn't in the public domain.

FWIW, my TV (a Panny) still allows switching between SCART inputs
even when select is active (ie. I can change channels with the TIVO
connected via a SCART if I want to).

Still reckon VIOM "intelligent" control is your best route...

Patrick