Re: Tivo SCART control...

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@h...> wrote:
> Anyone got any thoughts on adjusting the behaviour of Tivo's SCART
control,
> - it's a little bit too "aggressive" for my liking...
>
> On my TV, with Tivo's SCART control turned on, It completely siezes
the TV
> and absolutely refuses to give it up no matter what.... The effect
of this
> is that I can never change the TV's selected input to another SCART
input,
> or to it's internal tuner - I can't even bring up the TV's menu
system. The
> only way I can make the TV display *anything* other than what Tivo
is
> putting out, is to put Tivo into standby, when it finally
relinquishes
> control.

It could be something you need to change in your TV setup to allow
channel changes when the SCART input is active.  When I switch the
Tivo out of standby my TV automatically switches to it, but I can
change channel after this.

Try plugging in a different source like a DVD or video, and see if
you can switch back to the tuner when it's playing or not.  That
might give you a better idea of where the problem is.

> This is causing me a problem, as I have a need to switch the TV to
its
> internal tuner in the morning... - Tivo records DS9 from 6AM-7AM
every
> morning, but SWMBO wants to watch BBC1 at the same time. The Sky
digibox is
> the ony programme source currently, so I thought I'd connect an
aerial to
> the TV and let her watch BBC1 using the TV's tuner, thus not
affecting
> Tivo's recording... (better WAF).
>
> Of course, I can't get the TV to switch to its own tuner, whilst
Tivo is on,
> and SCART control is enabled....
>
> If I turn Tivo's scart conrtol off, that has some other unwanted
effects,
> such as the Tivo button on the remote can no longer be guaranteed
to work as
> intended, - if the TV is switched to it's on tuner, it won't switch
to the
> Tivo SCART socket automatically...
>
> At the moment, it looks like I have 2 choices:...
>
> Leave SCART control ON, and force SWMBO to turn Tivo to standby so
as to be
> able to change channels...
>
> Turn SCART control off, and force SWMVO to remember to manually
select the
> Tivo SCART input before being able to use Tivo...
>
> either option forces SWMBO to have to remember to press extra
buttons, and
> to alter the way she is now used to making it work - neither will
be
> popular...

Or just leave the Tivo on standby while it's recording - or are you
getting this problem even when it's on standby (if so it could be a
fault in the Tivo).

> I plan to automate whichever option I go for, so the Ocelot will
send the IR
> to each device, but that might take me a couple of days to go &
learn all
> the commands etc.. I was hoping to sort something out today...
>
> Is there any way to make Tivo's SCART control behave a bit more
like a
> VCR's?? - IE sieze the TV when it really needs to, - ie. when
displaying a
> menu, or when playing back video, but not to actively sieze it at
other
> times, so I can manually change the TV channel away from Tivo,
should I need
> to?....

I think that's roughly what it does as normal.  If you switch out of
standby it probably assumes you're going to either set up a
recording, watch something, or use it in pass-through to get things
like live pause.

> Sorry for the long ramble!

You only get answers if you ask questions :))

David P.