RE: Lighting (C-bus Software)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Lighting (C-bus Software)
  • From: "Rob Mouser" <rmouser@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:17:09 -0000

C-bus software is again a huge topic. But in summary:

-There is no real programming. It is done by some excellent GUI's.
-Each unit (i.e Dimmer, switch, PIR.) is assigned a unique Unit ID on
the network.
-Loads or groups of loads can be assigned a 'group address'. These group
addresses are then in turn assigned to an action. I.e. pressing of a
switch.
-Scenes can be set for groups of loads. (For supported switches.)
-Ramp levels and speed of ramp can be pre-determined.
-Unit functions can be set. For example: With switches with Neons, the
brightness of the Neon, the length of time it is on and the reason it is
on can be changed on a unit by unit basis.
-Maximum or minimum levels of a load can be pre-set. i.e. You might want
all your lighting to run at 85% of total brightness only. YES you now
have ENERGY control too. Now you can justify to SWMBO the cost!
-You can save your projects to file.
-you can control what happens in the event of power fail. i.e. Restore
to the previous level or to a particular level.

One important thing to understand is that each c-bus unit has its own
non-volatile memory. When you make changes to a unit within the software
you save those changes to that unit. The system can still operate if one
unit fails. Your PC or the interface does not need to remain in the
system.

HTH.

Many thanks
=20