Re: Bathroom sensor switch - my experience

Hi Martin

I have the sensor pad and controller installed in two bathrooms.

The sensor pad is glued onto the back of the tile, and the user
touches the tile to switch the light on or off.

I have had the following experiences :

1) Mains wires can interfere with the low voltage sensor pad wires -
at one point my bathrooms lights were switching off and on randomally
(to great amusement to my friends - but not anyone trying to use the
bathroom in the dark)

2) As advised by "Sensorbility" make sure you grout the tiles using
silicone rather than tile grout. I used grout in the first instance
and this caused the random flashing light problem again

3) Make sure you have an extractor fan in the bathroom. If the tiles
get too moist with the steam, the lights will go off and you will be
plunged into darkness.

4) To switch the lights you need to touch the tile rather than wave
your hand near it.

As you can see I had a few teething problems, but they have been
installed for 6 months now and appear reliable. Its always fun to ask
visitors to touch the tile and see the amazement on their faces!

I agree with the other poster than the sensor switch (the all in one
job) is more reliable - but I was more reassured with using low
voltage rather than mains to switch the lights in the bathroom.

One of the main drawbacks with the "behind the tile" installation is
that you have to cememt and silicone the tile before you can prove it
works - I had to remove the tile twice...you can imagine what fun
that was(!)

Good look with your installation

Tom

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Martin Greenwood <martin@p...> wrote:
> Paul G,
>
> Just been nosing around your online bathroom!!!
>
> Did you buy the Sensor switch module or the sensor pad plus
multiway
> controller?
>  From picture it looks like the latter, but I just wanted to
check...
> Has it been working reliably? Is it easy for untrained visitors??
>
> Did you look at the secret switch (the one with the antenna)?
>
> I would need to switch two independent lights and the tft screen
and three
> sets of sensor + controller is looking expensive, however they
don't seem
> to recommend the Sensor switch in a bathroom.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Martin

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor