Re: Re: UKHA 2003 - How about a Tivo Upgrade area

Tom Dubourg  wrote:

> On returning home are these the only steps that would be required?
> 1) Take lid off Tivo
> 2) Plug in the new programmed large hard drive
> 3) Screw into postion
> 4) Replace lid
> 5) power up

Pretty much, taking out the existing hard drive and replacing it with
the new bigger one.

> Are there complications with using the original Tivo hard drive in
> parallel with the new hard drive? Are brackets required to mount the
> new hard drive in the Tivo (if so, perhaps another sales opportunity
> for Laser?)

This is where it gets complicated.... :)

A new blank (or if we don't have a virgin backup, my season passes from
when I did my upgrade... :D ) larger hard disc to replace the existing
hard disc, or 2 new hard discs to replace the existing one, no problems.

To use the original drive in conjunction with the new one, both would
require to be brought along.

To retain season passes etc, the original disc would have to be brought
along.

Preserving recordings takes a much greater time, so would probably be
out of scope of these workshop upgrades.

To go from a one drive to a 2 drive Tivo does require mounting brackets
(or a bodge!) so it is another sales opportunity... ;>

--
Doogie

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor