Projector + Picture enhancer worse than Projector alone :-(

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Projector + Picture enhancer worse than Projector alone :-(
  • From: "Tony Butler" <roaming@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 23:43:57 -0000

Hi,

I was considering buying a ProV to add to my Tosh MT1 projector, but I
saw lektropacks did something similar:
http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/product/technical.asp?dept%5Fid=32&sku=590

Okay, twice the price, but it has 3:2 pulldown and a couple of other
features that seemed to make it that bit better.
So I bought one and just spent the evening playing around with it.
The net result seemed to be:
Use it in VGA mode and it seems very contrasty and close to a TV image,
though would need a bit of downward adjustment on
contrast/color/brighness - everything really, to stop it being so OTT.
The problem with this mode is I cannot change the aspect ratio, so all
my lovely WS DVD's appear tall 'n thin :-(

Switch to YPbPr for a nice prog scan piccie and.....totally the opposite
- like contrast is wayyyyy down (even when at it's highest) and a very
washed out picture indeed.  Looks dreadful :-(

Remove the box altogether, go back to a straight Svideo feed and....it
look's pretty damn good - not as "dynamic" as the VGA piccie, but a
damned sight better than the Prog scan one.

The question now is:
- Am I doing something wrong?
- Is the unit faulty?
- Is the projector faulty?
- None of the above - accept the limitiations of either the VGA or prog
scan mode and shut up?

Anyone any thoughts?

Cheers,

Tony