RE: BT CD50 caller id -> computer conversion

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: BT CD50 caller id -> computer conversion
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 13:40:19 -0000

            The original hack works on the basis that at some point the
incoming CID data (which is like a modem tone) is demodulated and appears as
a serial data stream at TTL levels. This is then fed from one part of the
circuitry to another and can be 'picked up' and translated to RS232 and
optically isolated from the telephone line. What comes out is a long string
of data that is not error checked and contains a lot of padding. Your
software needs to strip this padding and then extract the required
information. This is fairly easy to do. The stream is fully documented in
the BT spec document.

            As to these cheaper CallerID units - if you can find this same
point that links the parts of the circuitry (a TTL serial data stream) then
it should work - If the modem part is separate from the processor on the
unit this is quite likely to be possible but as with all these things the
cost perhaps reflects that they have reduced the chip count way down and it
may all be one chip. Gonna need to take one to bits and see what's inside
and get a scope out.

            Kevin