Ideas for a digital multi zone pre-amp?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Ideas for a digital multi zone pre-amp?
  • From: "Paul Gale" <groups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:54:26 -0000

I've got my multi-zone, multi-source amp working a treat. The one
disadvantage with it is that the volume control is analogue in nature
and you can't set a discreet volume level. I'm just about to start
playing TTS voice announcements (using AT&T Natural Voices) for various
stuff including incoming calls.

I've not lived with a system like this yet but I see a problem with
volume levels. Imagine the following:

Last night I was in a party mood (doesn't happen very often!) and was
playing music very loudly through all the zones. When finished, I
stopped the source (MP3 server) but left the volume level where it was
(quite a normal thing to do). Got up this morning, having breakfast,
phone rings and through the speakers at 110Db comes "Your mother-in-law
calling!". A great way of waking up in the morning but not the most
calming of experiences! Needless to say, I didn't answer the call ;)

I think what I need is a pre-amp that allows a discreet level to be set
(I can then keep the Multi Zone Amp at one highish level). The only
problem I then see is if I manually change the Amp level using a wall
controller - They are basically learning remotes that transmit an IR
signal back to the amp via Cat5.

Anyone got any ideas? It needs 4-6 inputs (Stereo) and should be
controllable by either/or: IR, RS232 etc.

Paul.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
HGTV Dream Home Giveaway