RE: Re: (OT) Win 2k Account lockout problem

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Re: (OT) Win 2k Account lockout problem
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:56:00 +0000

Hmm...

That sort of thing "shouldn't" happen....

In a network with multiple domain controllers, when a client fails to be
authenticated by one of them, it is supposed to go and try to authenticate
against the PDC (or the PDC Emulator FSMO role in an Active Directory
environment).

This mechanism is designed precisely to prevent this scenario... the logc
being that the PDC or PDC emulator should always have the most up-to-date
account database, since in an NT4 environment changes are only ever made at
the PDC, and then replicated out ot BDCs, and in an AD environment the PDC
Emulator is guaranteed a fast replication from other DC's in the domain...

Only when something is very broken should you expect logins to fail becuase
of out of date credentials at the authenticating DC....

anything's possible though I suppose....

Paul G.

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger