RE: Problems installing Xpl

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Problems installing Xpl
  • From: <email@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 19:29:46 -0000

Thanks for your help John!

Anto.

-----Original Message-----
From: John B [mailto:home-automation@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 21 December 2003 18:49
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Problems installing Xpl

> How do I go about getting help with xPL?
> Checked the web site but not much there and a very inactive forum with
> only 3 posts so thought I'd try asking here.

As Tony says, the UKHA_XPL group is the best place to start.
I guess we really should remove the forum, as most people seem to prefer
the mailing list.

> I'm totally new to xPL and haven't been following any of the threads
but
> thought I'd install it tonight and play about with my x10 and SLiMP3
but
> fell at the 2nd hurdle.
>
> Win2K Server with .Net previously installed.
> Followed instructions from the web page : HowTo: Control your X10
> devices using xPLHal
> Installed xPLHal Service, confirmed the service was running ok and
> configured it as per instructions giving it a newconf name of Server1.
>
> Installed the xPL-to-CM12 gateway service and insured the service was
> running (set to automatically start but had to manually start it after
> install).
> Checked under Awaiting Configuration and there it was...
> Gave it a newconf name of Server1 but there is no comport variable to
> set a value against!
> i.e. comport does not appear in the list of configurable items.
> I OK'ed it anyway and it moved from Awaiting config to the xPL Devices
> list.

The initialisation files are stored in your Windows system directory
(c:\winnt\system32) and are in the form:
xpl_<vendor>-<device>.instance1.xml.
E.g. xpl_johnb-cm12.instance1.xml.

At present the uninstaller doesn't seem to remove them, so as you've
noticed, when you reinstall the software, it picks up it's settings from
the previous install - I'll see about fixing the uninstaller so it
removes the initialisation files.

I'm not sure why comport sin't showing up as a configurable item, but
you can edit it my hand, as follows:

Open up notepad and load the file
c:\winnt\system32\xpl_johnb-cm12.instance1.xml.
Locate the line:
<configItem key="comport" value="1" />

and change the value to the COM port number that your CM12 is connected
to.
Restart the CM12 service in COntrol Panel, and you should be up and
running.

You can check this by looking in your Windows Application event log -
there should be a message from the xplcm12 service indicating that it
found the CM12 successfully.

HTH,

John

UKHA 2004: 15th and 16th May 2004