TM13U all house codes X10 RF Transceiver problem

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: TM13U all house codes X10 RF Transceiver problem
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 01:29:29 -0000

I'm hoping I've got this wrong but here's what I've found...

Just got a TM13U (all housecode) RF Transceiver. To configure it to
relay all RF housecodes you set the housecode switch to 'P'. However this
of
course means you can only have one all housecode RF transceiver in your
house as the inbuilt socket then (I expected) would respond to P1. So all
other transceiver sockets would also be on P1. Actually what I discovered
was much worse even than that as the inbuilt appliance module now responds
to 'any' housecode 1 eg A1 B1 C1 etc. So as soon as you use one of these RF
transceivers you lose all your '1' devices - ie it occupies 16 housecodes
for one appliance module :-( Also reponds to ALL OFF on any housecode.
This seems to be yet another X10 bad design implementation. Why
couldn't they allow you to allocate the transceiver bit to all housecodes
and the appliance module to a specific housecode. Failing that a way at
least to disable the appliance module.
You might reason just don't use the appliance module but it
generates status information so even if you don't use it you can't have any
other device on say A1 B1 etc if that also uses status information . Now
guess what the standard RF transceivers do generate status and of course
they can ONLY sit on a '1' device code. Shot in the foot.
So it appears that you can't operate several standard RF
transceivers (single housecode) on any installation that also has an 'all
housecode' transceiver. I had wanted to use a bunch of transceivers that I
have (set to a housecode I don't use for RF) just as appliance modules as
they have that elusive 'status' feature which the standard appliance
modules
don't.
I can't cover the geographic area that I need with one transceiver -
hence the need to use three. This has worked well in the past (no collision
problems) but I just wanted to be able to support 'all housecodes' to get
beyond the 16 button limit - and to have three RF controllers.
Anyone know how to disable the inbuilt appliance module (or at least
the status response bit ??)

Kevin

PS One plus point - the relay is much quieter in this model.

UKHA 2004: 15th and 16th May 2004

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx