RE: [OT] Strange Scroll Bar Behaviour

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] Strange Scroll Bar Behaviour
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 11:22:07 -0000

> From: Don McAllister [mailto:donmc@xxxxxxx]
>
> Anyone ever had problems using scroll bars? My windows 2000 box
> seems to be
> misbehaving when scrolling in IE and other apps. I usually click on
the
> upper or lower section of the scroll bar to surf etc and usually this
> scrolls the page down by a full screen. Recently, this now
> appears to result
> in scrolloing down one and a half pages causing sections of the page
to be
> jumped!
>
> Anyone any ideas on how to reset this as it's driving me barmy!
>
> PS I don't like scrolling by wheel :-)

Hi Don,

Strange you should mention that. My Win2K laptop started doing EXACTLY the
same thing but only on the DOWN. Yesterday it went REALLY screwy.

Various unexplained Javascript errors.
Tried logging into disneystore.co.uk but got an "access Denied"
error but
put that down to the website.

Later in the day....
Any page that should open in a new window stopped working.
Shift+Click to open in a new window stopped working
Right Click "Open in new window" stopped working.

CTRL + N did work

I wasnt overly worried by the scroll bar problem because I tend to use
Pagedown which is why I have frames so much but the failure of popups and
opening new windows was a critical failure. Our main secure application
login at work opens applications in other windows so without that ability I
was totally shafted :-(

Tried Windows Update... No updates.

Tried McAfee incase there was a newer AV DAT file... current.

Googling returned a few results for the new window problem that primarily
revolved around re-registering various DLL's. Non of them worked. I did
find
one entry that said an FDisk and Rebuild cured it but that is a last
resort!!!

Couldnt uninstall IE6 as there is no option to do so because it is so
integrated with the OS. Finally clicked on "Set Program Access and
Defaults"
and remebering the strange Javascript errors earlier in the day I ticked
the
box that said "Use Microsoft VM for Java"

My problem with launching windows had disappeared.

Having read your email I tried the scroll bar and that also appears to be
fixed so it may be worth a try.

Hope it cures your problem

Keith