RE: [OT] Strange Scroll Bar Behaviour

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] Strange Scroll Bar Behaviour
  • From: "Simon Beech" <simon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:12:16 -0000

>From Langlist...
3) Has Your Scrollbar Behavior Changed?

Mine has. Many readers are reporting the same thing, too:

I'm having an annoying problem. While I'm using IE6, I always
scroll the screen by clicking the vertical scroll bar (one
click, one screen). Since I installed Microsoft's latest
security patch, Cumulative Security Update for Internet
Explorer 6 SP1 (KB824145), the page advances TWO screens per
click. After I noticed this weird behavior, I uninstalled the
patch and the problem went away. Then I checked out my wife's
computer after she installed the update, and it has the same
problem. Our machines are set up almost identically, but I
find it hard to believe we are the only folks seeing this
behavior. Microsoft's knowledge base has been no help so far,
and I have seen no mention of this problem anywhere. Any
ideas? ---Dan Cross

Bizarrely, it's not a bug. It appears to be a poorly-implemented new
"feature."

The vertical scroll bar--- sometimes called the "elevator" bar---
is now
distance sensitive. If you click near the slider, you'll scroll up or
down one screen, as before. If you click far away from the slider,
you'll advance two screens.

It makes a kind of sense, unless--- like millions of users, including
me-
-- you're used to parking the mouse at the top or bottom of the scroll
area and clicking on that one spot to read through a document one page
at a time. Now, that no longer works, and you have to reposition the
mouse after each click.

The new behavior also is not universal; the change does not affect all
vertical scroll bars in all applications. Now you have to remember which
ones work which way. Sigh.

I think we'll soon see patches and fixes that let us modify or disable
this annoying "feature" that clearly did not get user-tested very
well
at all prior to release.