[OT] TomTom+GPS ?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [OT] TomTom+GPS ?
  • From: "Marcus Warrington" <marcusw@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:14:21 -0000

Since I know a number of people on the list have recently started using
their PDA for SatNav I thought I'd ask and see if anyone else is having the
same experience as me ? For the last month I've been using my Dell Axim X5
(400mhz) and TomTom 2.2.4 with a Rikaline 6010 SirfII GPS mouse. I've been
pretty impressed with it in general but one thing that is really bugging me
know is that when the car is stopped (i.e. standing traffic on the M60
every morning!) and I start off the GPS resets it compass heading to 0
degrees (North) for a second before calculating the true direction. The
effect of this is that the on screen car/map suddenly swing around for a
second. This can be very disorientating especially if just setting off from
a roundabout or junction. I understand that GPS units can only calculate
their orientation by reference to their previous location but fail to see
why it should reset to North every time. Apart from this problem the
Rikaline seems pretty good on sensitivity as I regularly see between 8
and 10 satellites

Is anyone else experiencing this .. ? If not then which GPS units are other
using as I may sell the Rikaline and get a different GPS mouse.

Is anyone using a Bluetooth modem ? Can they connect to two different
devices at the same time ? I would really like to share the GPS between the
PDA (SatNav) and the Laptop (War driving) on the same journey.

Marcus Warrington
marcusw@xxxxxxx MIS Computer Services (UK)