From: Phil Harris [mailto:phil@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 09 December 2003 21:02
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] [OT] Terabytes [was IDE]

> The box shown is only an 8 bay.. Excuse my ignorance but how do you
get 16
> drives in an 8 bay.

8 drives in the PC case - 8 drives in the external firewire enclosure.

> + are you using serial ide,

No ... "normal" ATA133.

> if so how good is it ?

Haven't got anything SATA yet...

> Do you have a spec sheet on your movie server ?

Hmmm ... 550w Q-Tec PSU, Asus K7VT2 motherboard, Athlon XP2400+ processor,
512Mb DDR RAM, Highpoint RocketRAID 404 controller, 40Gb "boot"
drive, DVD
ROM, 8 x 160Gb ATA133 5400rpm drives, ATI Radeon 9000 AGP graphics (main
GUI
display), Nvidia GForce 5200 FX PCI graphics card (secondary GUI display
and
TV output), firewire card (Belkin I think).

The "hardware" spec has changed recently as my old motherboard
packed in so
I transferred over the mobo (plus graphics cards) from my "main"
PC so I'm
now having to use this "Movie Server" as my main domestic PC -
not much of a
hassle to be honest as I mainly use my lappy anyway and only use that
machine for a bit of PhotoShop and Premiere every now and again.

> What is the quality like ?

The ISOs are full DVD bitrate "bit for bit" copies (minus region
coding, RCE
and macrovision) so playback quality is dependent on the playback hardware.
I often use the lappy to play back movies via wireless LAN and I'm trying
get a nice (read *PROPERLY* user friendly) front end and player made using
the VIA EPIA boards and Hollywood Plus / XCard hardware decoders - the
XCard
has a *VERY* good video output stage and can give either composite, s-video
or component video output (unfortunately the composite and s-video output
on
the EPIA board itself sucks otherwise that would have been a very simple
solution).

> How are you getting your movies to the screen/amp/speakers ?

Network attached DVD "player" - trying to use the Hollywood Plus
/ XCard for
the video output and that card also gives a digital bitstream output for an
AV amp (or analogue stereo output to go into a normal stereo amp or TV
SCART
input). I have someone who understand the demon beast that is Linux looking
at using either Freevo or MythTV for a front end (Freevo can be compiled to
use the H+ card as a GUI output) - he also reckons that it should be
possible to network boot the player if it otherwise works so no hard disc
and no need for fans ... so a quiet player! :-D

> I am certain to have lots more questions.... :-)

Fairy nuff ... there's a couple of people doing something similar on here -
Graham Howe for a start. I'm sure we'll all be willing to bore the arse off
you with our crap.

Phil

UKHA 2004: 15th and 16th May 2004

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx

This e-mail is private and confidential and is intended
solely for the person it is addressed to. Any disclosure,
distribution, copying or printing, or use of the
information contained herein for whatever purpose by
anyone other than the recipient is prohibited and legal
action may be taken as a result.