Re: [OT] Terabytes [was IDE]

Yup, 1.3Tb available, 1Tb in a RAID5 and 300Gb in mirrored drives. The
mirrored drives are there as I needed the speed as much as the capacity,
but
have had too many drives fail on me in a variety of situations, usually
just
before I was about to do that long put-off backup (honest!).

I use a large PC tower case, but quickly ran out of drive bays, so I've
just
obtained a gutted chassis from a Sun Microsystems Enterprise 450 server.
This
has a drive cage which takes 20 SCA SCSI drives, but I'm fitting standard
IDE
drives as I'm not using the SCA backplanes (which I didn't get anyway). The
necessary brackets for the drives came off of a load of 2Gb Sun drives we
were throwing out. In a frightening but true tale I've already got my eye
on
the empty power supply cages in the back which should take a good number of
extra drives! I should be able to add an extra 3Tb into that chassis even
assuming I stick with 200Gb drives (which is probably a bad assumption as I
won't get getting round to that for a while).

Steven