RE: [OT] IDE

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] IDE
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 21:20:18 -0000

> Looking at some drives for me terabytes.
> I would like to use 5400 drives to cut down noise and heat, the
> ones I am looking at are UIDE rather than ATA/133, what's the
> difference and can I use them.

I use 5400rpm drives for exactly that reason - anyway why would you need
the
higher data rate of 7200rpm drives when the maximum you can get across a
network is 100mbits/sec (10 mbytes ish)? ;-) I get 24Mbytes/sec off my
Firewire drives (5400rpm 160Gb Maxtors) and about 50Mbytes/sec off the RAID
array (8 x 160Gb Maxtors).

If you are looking at drives bigger than 137Gb then they must be supporting
ATA133 (or at least the ATA133 extended addressing) to access the space
above 137Gb ...

... basically as long as the controller is specced to handle drives
>137Gb
then you can pretty much use any drive with them (and please no one say
"You
can't use Serial ATA or SCSI with an IDE controller - I'm assuming that we
understand that).

Phil