RE: Serial over Ethernet

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Serial over Ethernet
  • From: Primož Gabrijelčič <gabr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 14:57:28 +0100

> > My colleague is searching for a solution that would enable
> > him to run RS-232 over UTP. Connection only goes through a
>
> Take a look here:
>
> http://www.zytrax.com/tech/layer_1/cables/tech_rs232.htm#rj45

That is good for using direct (or patched) UTP cable for serial wiring. We
have already considered such solution. But this won't create true ethernet
traffic and won't give each endpoint a MAC address and because of that
wouldn't work across the switch.

///

Nick B, thanks for your offer, I forwarded it to the colleague.

Best regards,
Primoz