RE: caller id (and talkworks)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: caller id (and talkworks)
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 00:44:31 -0000

trying not to hijack a thread here but it seems a few people are
still wondering what they might be able to do with xAP or xPL...  I think
the UKHA2004 meet will be a great eye opener for the progress that both
these protocols have made to deliver real world applications.

These 500 messages occupy about 750K of bandwidth on the Ethernet
network - so could all be transmitted in under a second if needs be. I have
just chosen to put everything I can out with xAP on the network.

Just as an outline of the sort of things that are flying around my
network - and indeed other xAP and xPL networks in x enabled HA systems.. I
have the following

C-Bus lighting - all my automated home lighting system every switch
and light and relay output
Security - my alarm system reports every zone open / close and
set/unset event
External security - the exterior PIR's and driveway sensors
Clock time - and alarm/reminder events
Temperature - from around 20 different sensors around the house,
some on the heating system
(supports the Quasar board)
Light levels from an external and internal sensor
Weather station information - an opinion from 'the roof' (a bit
flakey currently)
External weather forecast and weather realtime info from my local
Leeds/Bradford airport
News alerts from various websites
Traffic alerts on the roads I use on a daily basis
X10 activity/control within the property
Heating system information and control via the VIOM serial I/O board
and temp sensors
TV listings information (actually using Tony's xPL application
bridged back to xAP)
HomeVision connectivity again bridging from a new xPL application
What's playing & control of the mp3 players that I have around the
house (sliMP3's).
IR received in several rooms is sent as xAP messages
My AV system is xAP enabled - Full control/monitoring - 2/3 audio
areas (work in progress)
I have OSD facilities on the Tag AV system (VideoOverlay) and Tivo
and SliMP3's as well as the PC's
Touch/web control from my favourite HA control software - HomeSeer
and ACE
Caller ID and outgoing CID lookup with display on any of the output
devices.
Text to speech.

& work to do on xAP enabling....
Audio and Video matrix switching  Kramer/Autopatch/Nirvis DXS
IR control using Slinke - although this sort of works through a
roundabout route now
xAP linking to MainLobby suite
Temperature & IR support within HV with Firm etc.
PPC RF control

Maybe that gives some idea about the scope of the information - but
here's the huge plus for xAP and xPL - all these devices interact but are
decoupled. Nothing is physically tied to something else - they can all hear
each other and interact if they so wish. You just make the information
available to everyone and the control available to everyone and then you
build up how you want the various bits to interact. No 'legbone connected
the thighbone 'here.

Kevin