RE: Re: Pinnacle ShowCenter + PVR

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Pinnacle ShowCenter + PVR
  • From: "Tony Butler" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 22:39:18 -0000

> past. I too started out with a lossless (wma)as my standard
> for audio due to quality issues and now wish I had gone with .ape.

Why do you think ape is better than lossless wma??

> Going the Showcenter way means you need to go to mpeg2. I
DVD's are mpeg2 anyway.

> think the quality is the same as DVD but then you do not get
> the whole DVD menu and extras and other stuff - do you really want it?

No, want to strip all that out.

> I am going to experiment with some dvd's and may be get a
> showcenter to try it out. I am sure I will need to use a 3rd
> party ripper for dvd's (I am sure Pinnacle would not be brave
> enough to bundle any rippers which defeat CSS - fearing legal

Correct - they will not rip copy protected DVD's.  I will be looking out
for
a solution to this though naturally.....

> Then there is the whole business of the player and a remote
> control- capable front end for selection and playback. I
> really like the Lobby stuff from Cinemar, but showcenter
> won't handle that and pc's work as better clients in that
> setup. So which way to go ???

Decisions decisions :)

I considered the happuage stuff, but no digital audio, and what I saw of
the
menus looked naff.
The pinnacle looks okay and should be swmbo friendly since it is remote
control based (apart from of course, introducing yet _another_ remote to
the
house!) and looks to be failry noddy to use.  She's a tivo whizz so this
should be fine :)

Cheers,

T.