WAY OT: Logon Scripts

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: WAY OT: Logon Scripts
  • From: "Rob Mouser" <rob@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 12:26:35 -0000

Hi This is a post on behalf of one of the guys here at work and I know
we've
got some clever folk on this list.

He's trying to achieve the following:

The plan is to use group policy to lock down the users machine so they
cannot access anything except a few select icons on the desktop.

Identical software will be installed in identical locations on each machine
e.g.

C:\Program Files\TPSIMS\TPSIMS.exe

A folder full of shortcuts will be then created on the server.  Upon
logining into the network the script will delete all existing icons from
the
desktop and copy over the shortcuts from the server.

As well as copying over the shortcuts the login script needs to :

a.       Map drives (already done).

b.       Create folders and copy over certain filers (already done).

c.       Call an executable that alters some registry setting for the
printer (Big group Minolta thing that has to be mapped from each machine
rather than via a shared server install.).  This executable starts to run
but as the user is not an administrator on the local machine it fails.
Therefore we need to be able to run the script as an administrator without
having to setup each user as a local administrator.

d.       It would also be useful if the script could create a local account
for the user giving them standard user privileges.

I hope that makes sense and can it be done?

Many thanks

Rob