Re: Pinnacle ShowCenter + PVR

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Pinnacle ShowCenter + PVR
  • From: "keyvan2r" <keyvan@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 22:53:13 -0000

I think you may be right:

Extract taken from

http://www.satelliteonline.co.uk/digital_satellite_explained.htm

"When purchasing a digital receiver for other channels always ensure
that it has a common interface, this will be needed if you wish to
plug in extra Cam's.

Digital receivers are also available with one built in encryption
system such as Viacess, Sky use a Videoguard system which is used on
the Sky digital satellite at 28 degrees East.
One question we constantly get asked is "Can a free to air digital
receiver obtain the Sky channels"?. The answer is no, because Sky is
scrambled using videoguard it is impossible to purchase a separate
videoguard cam."
So that means the Pinnacle PCTV SAT CI is pretty useless in the UK.
I am wondering now are there any english broadcasts on any of the
non-sky sat broadcastors worth receiving or recording.
??

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Ross McKillop <home@i...> wrote:
> I dont think there is a CAM for Sky Digital... I remember this
being
> discussed somewhere else (non-HA) related before..
>
> Ross
>
> --
> Ross McKillop
> On 4 Dec 2003, at 19:39, keyvan2r wrote:
>
> > Tony
> >
> > I would be very interested to know what you think of the
ShowCenter,
> > because I am toying with the idea of client/server distributed
video
> > and movies. I was going to go down the route of slient windows
> > clients PC's where my plasma screens are (3 locations - all with
> > cat5 wired), but this one made me stop and reconsider. I am
building
> > a 2 Tb server to rip my dvd's onto. But then I thought it would
be
> > nice to have some kind of PVR in there too so that recorded off-
air
> > programs could be stored and viewed by clients. I looked at the
> > Pinnecle sat card CI, which claims Sky compatibility, but it
needs a
> > CAM in order to slot a Sky card into the device. I am looking
around
> > for this, but so far no luck -- if anyone knows what kind of CAM
> > would be suitable for sky & how to get one, I would be very
> > grateful --
> > Then recorded Sky programs could be viewed over the lan.
> > The main question would be how it manages the various flavours of
> > MPEG video out there. I am hesitant to start ripping 190+ dvd's
into
> > vob's (dvdshrink or dvd-decryptor) if Showcenter wants to see
them
> > in a MPEG2 format.
> > How are you planning to use Showcenter??
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Keyvan
> > --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Tony Butler <lists@a...> wrote:

server?

> >> Not yet, but I should be able to let you know soon :)
> >>
> >> I'm not sure that the windows software is required for
running
it
> > as such, but
> >> maybe is necessary/recommneded for setting it up.
> >>
> >> Anyway, it's a linux based system itself, so someone is bound
> > hack the thing
> >> to do all sorts of funky stuff (in much the same way the xbox
has).

> > server
SliMP3,
> > does
loads of

> >> The xbox with XBM does a pretty good job, though I can't be
arsed
> > setting it up
> >> properly (hence the showcenter - spend you way out of
lethargy :)).
> >> Might be worth a look?
> >>
> >> T.

> > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or
Lexmark