Re: Re: X10 - how ?

{RE: General discussion of x10 speed}

I am certainly no expert on anything, and in my world of common sence,
this ideals are normaly wrong but...

surely the delays you notice when pressing lightswitches and things are
mainly down to the speed of the data over the medium it is traveling.

I think x10 on the powerline travels at 300bps, pretty slow even with the
tiny amount of data sent.. this is why it takes about .5 sec to turn on an
x10 device after you send a command over the powerlines. AFAIR.
If you then add a RF control, you add the time for the signal to get from
the transmitter, to the reciever, get decoded from RF, processed,
converted into x10 and then bunged over the powerline, I guess this could
add an extra .25 of a sec?

the length of the route probably wont add to much, unless there is lots of
noise added (which may increase the time the signal spends being
processed, maybe?!).

Anyhow,
thats off the top of my head, and seems logical to me??

ali