Re: Guest Friendly Homes

>From my admittedly limited dabbling in HA the one crucial thing that
seems
> to be missing is what I would call "Guest Friendliness".

This is an old theme that's been discussed here before, and an important
one.

It's the Millionaire vs Hobbyist thing.  If you're the former you get a man
in to install Lutron/crestron/Panda etc.  You have a controller that allows
you (or a guest) to control everything.  It's intuitive and idiot-proof
(unless you're a certain Mr O. Osborne) and it just works.

If you're the latter (most of us here) then your system is built on a
budget.  It may be "organic" subject to modifications on a
weekly, sometimes
daily basis.  You may be on the bleeding edge of some beta software or
control protocol.  Sometimes it's hard for you to remember how stuff works,
let alone a guest :)

You CAN of course install a guest friendly system on a budget, but you need
to be able to tinker and then put it all back to the working model if it
fecks up.

The ultimate goal is perhaps to need no user intervention at all and hence
remove the guest question entirely.

M.