Re: [OT] Help me decide on a logo

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [OT] Help me decide on a logo
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:51:16 -0000

Thanks for all your comments, the feedbak was very helpful. I have=20
decided to go with the majority preference which was the second one
(http://www.auctiontools.co.uk/images/andybloor/NewSolarfish2.jpg).=20
I haven't decided on final colours yet, but the logo will be=20
supplied as a vector image so I can easily tweak it.

A few people asked how the competition worked, so this is the story.=20
I spend a fair bit of time at thedvdforums.co.uk and have noticed a=20
few logo competions running in their general forum. Typically the=20
prize is always a few quid or a dvd, but the quality and variety of=20
entries is often really good. So I simply started a thread asking=20
for a logo, giving a few details and offering =A325 prize. After 2=20
weeks there were probably a dozen different logos and you have seen=20
the two I narrowed it down to.

The winning logo is actually from someone who does this for a living=20
and yet he still enters the competitions for fun. The second place=20
logo is actually from someone who is still learning his graphics=20
package and this was only his third competition. I think he will win=20
one soon.

This is of course a fantastic price for such a high quality design,=20
it would probably cost hundreds to get something similar from a=20
design agency. But there seems plenty of interest on the forum and I=20
will almost certainly get some more logos done for some of my other=20
personal domains. However I don't think I would ask them to do a=20
client's logo as it would be taking the piss a bit to offer =A325 and=20
then charge on for it ;-)