[OT] IIS, domains, routers and host headers

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [OT] IIS, domains, routers and host headers
  • From: "Paul Gale" <groups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:14:13 +0100

I think that only covers a small area ;)

I need some help with my home/office network setup or some pointers to
good=
resources where I can research the answers:

I currently have a W2K server running on my network using a 192.168.0.x
add=
ress. My ADSL router is setup to route one of my public IP addresses and
as=
sociated domain names through to the server (but only allows port 80
throug=
h). The website does not have anonymous access and file security on all
fil=
es is set to Administrator and one internal domain user. AD is running. I
h=
ave several HA and alarm pages and OWA setup on this web server so want to
=
keep it as secure as possible. I currently only have one default web site
s=
etup on port 80. My internal domain is set to home.local and the server
and=
other servers on the network appear as homeserver.home.local, cameraserver=
.home.local etc. I have a DNS server running on this server too and all
cli=
ents point to this before my ISP DNS servers.

I=92d also like to use this server as a testing server for developing web
p=
ages and applications. I don=92t want this site to be accessible from the
I=
nternet at all (or at the very least, protected). What=92s the best way of
=
doing this? Would host headers help??? (I don=92t know anything about
them)=
.

My IIS knowledge is reasonably basic.

Ta,