RE: Re: How to work out what type of power generator?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: How to work out what type of power generator?
  • From: "John Benfield" <yahoo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:02:03 +0100

>> to about
>> the 220v mark. Strangely enough the PC doesn't seem to care what
the
>> voltage is.

>PCs (and indeed anything with a Switched Mode Power Supply) will run
>on anything.  The way they work is that they rectify the incoming
>juice to DC, and then switch that into a transformer at something
>over 20KHz.

>So, DC, or any AC frequency high enough so that the internal caps
>dont discharge (probably > 40Hz in reality) will do.

However, my understanding (limited) is that they basically take the top and
bottom of the voltage out of the sine wave. If the voltage drops, the
amount
of power that can be taken is reduced. Our microwave power is directly
linked to the voltage the generator is producing, even when running from
the
inverted/batteries which produce a true sign wave of 230v/50Hz the power is
down about 10%.