Re: wmp9 / myHTPC and empty folders

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: wmp9 / myHTPC and empty folders
  • From: "big_red_frog" <anthony.tod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:18:02 -0000

Thanks for the reply Tim,

It just occured to me that something had happened to my shredder
during the move that may of lead to it's death.

My mothers shredder had failed, so my father was going to take it
apart to have a look, the motor had actually burnt out, but it turns
out he had accidentally taken my shredder apart first, which had been
placed in the hall ready for the move, so that may explain the sudden
display of symptoms from what was a good unit!

I will take it apart again and look for anything obvious, though why
it should be on shutdown I don't know.

When you say an appliance tester, do you mean a mega?

And please don't heistate to throw links at me, most often when I
think I know something, I don't really!

As to the folders issue I was refering to in the original thread.

I found eventually something that would work. This is ashampoo, a
share ware program that will find and delete empty folders, it has
also many other features, some of which are intusive, so hopefully
they will all go away when I uninstall it.

There were some 10,000 empty folders in the end against 1000
populated ones, and if you are going to remove this sort of thing,
remember to turn of the recycle bin on delete, or it will take all
day!

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)"
<haweste@a...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Firstly, I'm no electrician, but I don't think the RCD tripping
would be due to a surge. The RCD (residual current device) monitors
the current flowing in on the live and out on the neutral wire (i.e.
they should be the same) and trips if it detects a difference. The
inference here is that the "lost" current is flowing to earth,
hopefully not through you :-)

> If, however, what's tripping is the MCB (circuit breaker, aka fuse)
not the consumer unit *RCD*, that may be due to a surge, or perhaps
more likely a short (live to neutral, rather than live to earth)
within the unit on rundown. Sounds like the shredder may have a
fault. The MCB or RCD is tripping for a reason and you really need to
resolve why, rather than bypassing the inconvenience of the fault. Do
you have access to an appliance tester ?

> However, since I'm not an electrician I may be talking utter
rubbish :-)

> HTH,
>
> Tim.
>
> For reference (apologies if you knew this already)
> An MCB:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/searchresults.jsp;jsessionid=DHLSN
NIRR02XVCJO2C3CIIQ?_dyncharset=UTF-
8&q=12290&n=&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=0&y=0

> A RCD:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/searchresults.jsp;jsessionid=DHLSN
NIRR02XVCJO2C3CIIQ?_dyncharset=UTF-
8&q=14165&n=&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=0&y=0