Re: How to work out what type of power generator?

> i.e. I want to buy a generator how do I work out my current loading
and
then
> how do I choose the generator?

If your bill shows it you can look at the maximum demand for your home.  If
you have a new (last 10 yrs?) meter, press a few buttons (normally not the
ones with tags on them) you can find it yourself.  That's normally in
kVA's.
apply the power factor, that gives you what your max load for your genny
is.
That's if you want to power the whole place come rain or shine.  Get the
leccy people in to cur your fuses, put in a changeover panel (if your
talking house side probably 500 quid or so?) between the meter and your
dissy board.  then you have something pretty solid.  always use a qualified
electrician of course =)

If you want to run minimum spec genny, then you are best not to put it
inline, have a dual feed to your dissy board and protect from back feed.
Put your house on low running and clamp read the current... I don't suggest
this.. the difference will be minimal.

hope that's of some help, and it's my opinion and not professional advise!

-dan