RE: Re: wmp9 / myHTPC and empty folders

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: wmp9 / myHTPC and empty folders
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)" <haweste@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:46:43 +0100

Hi,

Firstly, I'm no electrician, but I don't think the RCD tripping would be
due to a surge. The RCD (residual current device) monitors the current
flowing in on the live and out on the neutral wire (i.e. they should be the
same) and trips if it detects a difference. The inference here is that the
"lost" current is flowing to earth, hopefully not through you :-)

If, however, what's tripping is the MCB (circuit breaker, aka fuse) not the
consumer unit *RCD*, that may be due to a surge, or perhaps more likely a
short (live to neutral, rather than live to earth) within the unit on
rundown. Sounds like the shredder may have a fault. The MCB or RCD is
tripping for a reason and you really need to resolve why, rather than
bypassing the inconvenience of the fault. Do you have access to an
appliance tester ?

However, since I'm not an electrician I may be talking utter rubbish :-)

HTH,

Tim.

For reference (apologies if you knew this already)
An MCB:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/searchresults.jsp;jsessionid=DHLSNNIRR02XVCJO2C3CIIQ?_dyncharset=UTF-8&q=12290&n=&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=0&y=0

A RCD:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/searchresults.jsp;jsessionid=DHLSNNIRR02XVCJO2C3CIIQ?_dyncharset=UTF-8&q=14165&n=&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=0&y=0