RE: [OT] DECT phones & sync'ing with Outlook contacts

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [OT] DECT phones & sync'ing with Outlook contacts
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:10:49 +0100

Hmm, interesting, thanks...

Yup, I downloaded the 4010 exec manual from BT's website the other day, it
has a section detailing sharing (i.e. copying) directory entries, either
singly, or whole directories between handsets. This isn't by the sound of
it
a true shared directory, but just a facility to do a point-in-time copy
between handsets.

I currently have 2010's in both classic and exec models, and I was about to
buy a 4010 to upgrade when I learned about the new 5210 from this thread
the
other day!

Paul G.

>From: "Nick Broughton" <mail@xxxxxxx>
>To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: [ukha_d] [OT] DECT phones & sync'ing with Outlook
contacts
>Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:38:29 +0100
>
>Paul
>
>Just the man I was looking for ('cos from memory you've got 4010
exec's).

>Handset naming - yes.
>
>Directory transfer - if that means sharing a name/number list between
>handsets on the same base then No.
>
>SMS - yes.
>All networks - yes apparently - we've only tried Orange.
>
>I believe it's 12p a message though (which seems pricey) and I'm not
sure
>that there isn't a monthly subscription payable (but I can't see why
that
>would be different to the 4010).  It's also a pain in the bum to send a
>message to, because you have to enclose the landline number in # marks
in
>the body of the message and send it to a central number.  That's one
thing
>for us to deal with but something else entirely for friends/family.
>
>I also had some off-list correspondance with Stephen last night:-
>
><quote>
>Well you can't register it with more than one base as you could with my
old
>2010.  I don't know, but I assume you can do this with a 4010 exec.
The
>5200 manuals are 'interesting' in this respect.  The base station
manual
>explicitly states that you can't do it.  The additional handset manual
>refers to registering with _another_ base.  (This may mean alternative
>base,
>but I read it as additional base.)  When you turn the handset on it
informs
>you that it is connected to Base 1.  I have tried to register a 5200
>handset
>with my 2010 base, this worked but I could no longer access the 5210
base.
>I suspect that there's an enhanced version coming...
>
>The 4010 exec has a backlight, the 5210 doesn't and can be difficult to
>read
>in low light.
>
>There's no facility for sharing directory entries between handsets (I
went
>for a quad pack so that's a bit of a pain!), I haven't checked but I
>thought
>the 4010 exec had this.  Oddly the 5210 has two directories, one can
>contain
>50 entries, the other 10.  Neither are shared!  Why?  Again, I expect
>see
>an enhanced version...
>
>You can't set up a three way call internally, or use two handsets on an
>external call.  You could certainly do the latter on the 2010.
></quote>
>
>How much of this can you do with a 4010 exec?
>
>Nick

I'd been
> >hanging my nose over the 4010 exec and since this was billed as
it's
> >replacement I assumed the 5210 would have all the features of the
4010
> >exec,
> >but it doesn't.
> >
> >It's still a good 'phone, just not quite what I was hoping for.
> >
> >Anything in particular you want to know about it?
> >

>Yeah:
>
>Does it support the "Handset Naming" feature that the 4010
exec had?