iPaq 3870 w/ Pronto Software & Philips TV problem

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: iPaq 3870 w/ Pronto Software & Philips TV problem
  • From: "James Daniel" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:33:27 +0100

Hi all,

Apologies if the solution to my problem is available elsewhere, but I
have searched on Remote Central and in the UKHA archives and not found
anything. I am using the TV Remote software with the iPaq's built in
IRDA port (living with parents means I have a tiny bedroom, so range
isn't an issue) and am working on a CCF to control my Philips 24PW6006
TV. Everything seems to work fine except the standby, source and channel
+/- functions. I can turn the TV onto standby with the code I learnt
>from
the same button. This is not a major issue, as I can use one of the
numbers to get the TV out of standby, but it is annoying! Also, when I
learn the source button from the original remote, the iPaq will only
move to the AV1 input, and not toggle through the other inputs, no
matter how many times I press it. In addition to this, when I teach the
iPaq the channel up and down functions from the original remote, it
takes two presses to operate each channel jump, even though the TV's IR
receive LED flashes (as it does when trying to cycle through the inputs
and wake from standby). I'm guessing this is because the TV will use RC5
codes. I tried opening up the CCF with learned codes in Pronto Edit, and
then set the type of code to RC5, but Pronto Edit always assigns exactly
the same code to the button (number 0) regardless of what it's taught
function was. As far as I can tell, the TV Remote Control software can
handle RC5 codes, so I'm a bit stuck as to what to try now.

Will using the PDA-ir CF emitter rather than the iPaq's built in IR make
any difference, even though the range is very short. I have also
searched Remote Central for CCFs for the TV, but have found nothing.

Apologies again if I am being a muppet, and for the less than eloquent
way of explaining the problem :)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

James