Cow Cam & WiFi

  • To: "Ukha" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Cow Cam & WiFi
  • From: "Rob Mouser" <rmouser@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 20:27:10 +0100

Hi All

I thought it was about time we spread the realms of automation a little
so here is a little poser for you all which I know you knowledgeable lot
will find simple.

Down here on the farm we would like to set up a 'cow cam' so we can
watch the cows in the main shed. From my barn (Where the cows USED to
live!) to the new shed is about 100 yards as the crow flies and there is
just about line of sight. From my barn to the farm house is probably a
similar distance.
So....what I was thinking was.....

10/100 network in my barn.
WAP in my barn
Wifi enabled network camera
Wifi card in the farmers PC.
Simple software for farmer to view cows. (Farmer is simple when it comes
to PC's but not cows!)
When and if we get silly we can put the cow cam on the web! (AS if
anyone would want to watch them?)

So.....

Does anyone have any recommendations on how/what to do/use?
Any recommended camera's? (Not too expensive. Farmers have short arms
and deep pockets in Devon!)
Are their any practical guides to setting up Wifi links over an extended
distance? I do have a wifi network already but I find it does not extend
more than a few feet outside our stone walled barn. I was thinking maybe
an aerial in the loft?

Any help/advise greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rob