From: Michael Sanders [mailto:m_w_sanders@xxxxxxx]=20
Sent: 21 August 2003 10:29
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] RE: DMX

Rob,
=20
It sounds like we have been thinking along very much the same lines with
ou=
r HA systems!=20=20
=20
I have 20 iCove units installed in my place, all controlled by a ColorDial
=
(liked to a PDS-150e power supply).  As you say, the ColorDial is great
for=
day to day control but I'd also like to be able to do more with the lights=
(dimmed colour scrolls, sound to light etc etc).=20=20
=20
My other issue with the ColorDial is that it is very much a manual
creature=
.  Although I have the PDS-150e switched from a C-Bus relay (and therefore
=
controllable from the Neo switches, in scenes or from the web pad), in
orde=
r to change the lighting settings, I have to physically go to the
ColorDial=
which is mounted in the wall next to a Neo unit.
=20
I have looked into the option of "dual control" - i.e. from an
independent =
DMX source some of the time and from the ColorDial the rest of the time.
Co=
lor Kinetics themselves have told me that it is not possible to have two
DM=
X sources (the ColorDial is just a pre-programmed DMX source) going into
th=
e PDS-150e and I presume this applies to the iMOPS as well.  So, in order
t=
o switch from one control source to another, you'd have to physically swap
=
RJ45 leads.  As the power supply etc are in my Node 0, this is likely to
be=
a pain!  I haven't yet explored alternatives (such as a DMX signal combine=
r or switch box) but that's on my list.  Any ideas in this area would be
gr=
atefully received...
=20
Also, I am attracted to the idea of using a software lighting desk with a
h=
ardware DMX interface rather than a hardware desk.  This way, control for
t=
he lighting could be triggered from the web pad and scenes etc are rather
e=
asier to program on most software desks (I recall that programming
moderate=
ly complex scenes on a Pulsar Masterpiece desk took quite some time).
=20
Finally, my installer tells me that Clipsal have developed (or are
developi=
ng) a DMX interface unit for C-Bus.  This would be the ultimate solution
as=
I presume that we could then trigger lighting scenes from any C-Bus contro=
l source.  I've not been able to find out anything about this - has anyone
=
else heard the same thing?
=20
Cheers,
=20
Michael.

** UKHA2004 BE THERE! ** - start planning now.

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk=20
Post message: ukha_d@xxxxxxx=20
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx=20