From: "Paul Gale" <groups@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 7:56 AM
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] ADSL here - anyone want satellite equipment?

With the BT satellite system:

Download speeds are very good (best part of the system) - Regularly see 70
KB/s (depending on source of course) - officially rated at 500/512 Kbps. I
also sometimes see d/l speeds in excess of this (150 KB/s) but this may be
due to engineering work etc?

Upload speeds are not particularly good - can vary a lot but average seems
to be 10 - 12 KB/s - officially rated at 128 Kbps max (I think from
memory).

Latency is an issue - so not so good for games / vid conf / serious FTP
work

Overall, it's a good system if you can't get anything else and if you're
looking for good d/l speeds but don't mind about latency issues.

Cost is somewhere around £70 per month IIRC - BT will connect second
hand
kit with a visit to align dish etc.

Paul.