Fw: HomeSeer News for Aug-Sept 2003 HOT NEWS!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Fw: HomeSeer News for Aug-Sept 2003 HOT NEWS!
  • From: "Mark McCall" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 20:57:44 +0100

HomeSeer Technologies News July

HomeSeer Technologies News
Aug/Sept, 2003

In this issue:

a.. Hot New Technology!
b.. New additions
c.. Special deals
d.. HomeSeer Tips
Hot New Technology!

Tired of reliability problems with X10?
Would you like faster automation?
Would you like a secure system?
When your PC turns on a device, would like to know if it actually went on?
Would you like all this without spending a fortune?

Finally, there is a solution and HomeSeer Technologies is the first to
support it using your PC! The technology is call Z-Wave and is a new
wireless RF protocol developed by a company called Zensys. RF technology is
used to send commands to your automation devices. Since each device can
also act as an RF repeater, there is no limitation to the size of the home
that the system can control. No more phase coupling issues, no more lights
going on and off when they shouldn't or not going on at all! This is the
system we all have been waiting for!

Key features:

a.. Reliable communications between sender and receiver.
b.. Secure system. Can only be controlled by you, no one else.
c.. Fast. Control signal and acknowledgement are faster than X-10, 21
milliseconds for control and 18 milliseconds for an acknowledge!
d.. Status reports. All modules can report their status, and it too is
fast!
e.. Scene support.
f.. Inexpensive.
g.. Will probably be the new standard for home automation!
The following FAQ should answers most questions that you have. You can also
visit our message board and join in the discussion on our Z-Wave forum.

Is the system really expensive like Lutron's RF solution?

No. The goal of the system from the start was to be low cost. It's targeted
to the average consumer and you will see the hardware being sold at most
computer stores. Plug-in modules right now are around $39, but will drop
over time.

What is the range of the RF signal?

The typical range is 100 feet. Since each device acts as a repeater, you
simply add more devices to extend the system's range.

When I control a device, how do I know if the device was actually
controlled?

The RF protocol requires an acknowledgement from the device being
controlled. If there is no acknowledgement, an error is generated. HomeSeer
will then set the status of the device to "Unknown" and log an
error. If you are controlling devices from the handheld remote, then the
remote will display an error if the command was unsuccessful. This is one
of the biggest advantages over X10, where you never really know if an
action was completed.

What keeps my neighbor from controlling my home?

When you set up your system, a unique ID is assigned to each module. This
insures that no one else can control your home. Each system requires at
least one handheld remote control. This remote is used to add modules to
your home and each remote is shipped with a unique "Home ID".
Each module has a button that is used to add the module to the system. The
remote control is used to keep a "master" copy of the location of
each module. It then computes the proper routing to insure that every
module can be reached.

Why do a I need the handheld remote?

One remote is required and acts as a "master" or
"primary" remote. This remote is used to add new modules to your
system. Only one remote can do this, for security reasons. The information
about your system can be copied to other remotes with just a couple button
presses. Subsequent remotes are called "secondary" remotes. These
remotes can control all of your devices, but they cannot add new modules to
the system. You can think of the master remote as the master key to your
system. You might want to keep this remote in a safe place and use other
remotes with HomeSeer to control your system. If the primary controller
ever fails, HomeSeer can be used to create a new primary controller so you
do not have to totally re-configure your network.

How does HomeSeer work with this system?

As it does now, HomeSeer can control all of your Z-Wave devices. You would
use the handheld remote to add all of your modules, then copy the learned
information into HomeSeer. All of your Z-Wave nodes will then appear in
HomeSeer where you can name and group them. The devices can be controlled
the same way X10 devices are controlled. The best part is that HomeSeer
knows if the device was actually controlled. If the device does not
respond, HomeSeer logs an error and sets the device status to
"unknown". Triggers can be set to detect this condition.

In October, the HomeSeer USB Z-Wave interface will be available. This
interface attaches to a free USB port and allows HomeSeer to send and
receive commands to Z-Wave devices.

What if I want to keep using some of my X10 devices as well as Z-Wave
devices?

No problem! HomeSeer supports both an X10 interface and Z-Wave interface at
the same time. This allows you to phase in the Z-Wave system slowly.
Replacing only the devices you want. For example, if you have some X10
in-wall keypads, you can still use those to trigger macros in HomeSeer, and
HomeSeer can then send out commands to X10 and Z-Wave devices---all from
within the same event.

What kind of modules are available?

Currently, the following modules are available now:

a.. Plug-in lamp module. This module supports direct dimming as well as
status response. HomeSeer can poll the module for its current status as
well as its current dim level.
b.. Plug-in appliance module. This module supports status response and
HomeSeer can poll the module for its current status.
c.. Handheld remote control. At least one remote is required to set up your
system. You can add as many remotes as you like.
Available in October:

a.. Decora style wall switches, both dimmable and non-dimmable. Ivory and
white colors will be available.
b.. HomeSeer USB Z-Wave interface. This interface allows HomeSeer to send
and receive commands to and from your Z-Wave devices.
Ok, I'm sold, how do I get started?

In October, HomeSeer will release its Z-Wave USB interface. This interface
allows your PC to control your Z-Wave system. If you want to be one of the
first to use this new technology, please send an email to karen@xxxxxxx.
Put "reserve zwave usb" in the subject. This will insure that you
get one of the first units and we will email you as soon as the units are
available. Pricing for the interface has not been set, but it will be
comparable to X10 interfaces. HomeSeer Tech will also be offering the
plug-in modules, remotes, and wall switches from our online store. If you
want to get started right now with a remote and some modules, email Karen
above and let her know what you are interested in.