New to board - Smart Homes research project

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: New to board - Smart Homes research project
  • From: "nicola_kinguk" <nicola.king@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:18:43 -0000

Good afternoon everyone.

I hope you can help me with some research I am doing for the
Department of Trade and Industry on what consumers want from smart
homes.

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has recently installed
a smart home system, preferably one that was supplied by an
installation company and not one that you've put together yourself.
The system can be everything from a full-on whole house entertainment
system with hvac, lights, doors/windows etc, down to something more
straightforward that allows you to live your life more easily such as
automatic lighting. I'm aware of a number of test sites and
demonstration homes, but I'd welcome some input from people who are
using the technology.

I'd like to know:

1 What system you chose?
2 Why you choose it?
3 What did you think of the installation process?
4 Did it meet your expectations?
5 Are there any teething troubles?
6 Is it worth the money?

If anyone has any other comments about where you think home
automation is going, please let me have them too.

I can be emailed at: Nicola.King@xxxxxxx

Intertek Research & Testing Centre used to belong to the Consumers'
Association (Which? magazine), but we were sold to a company called
Intertek last year. We still undertake testing for CA and other
consumer organisations and undertake research on behalf of consumers
for a number of government and regulatory bodies. We also work with
manufacturers and retailers to improve the products that you buy. For
more information, see our website at http://www.its-rtc.com

Thanks!