RE: Cable marking ?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Cable marking ?
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)" <haweste@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 06:56:19 +0100

Marcus,

This is exactly the method I used. I also used 4 coloured bands, but
re-started the code for each cable type so I effectively have 5 bands.
Hence I have Cat5e, CT100, Alarm & speaker cable all with a
"RRBY" band, for eg. 4 colours per cable type allows 256 unique
cables which **should** be enough for now, if I need any more than 256 Cat5
runs I can always add another band later ;-))

I used the first band to indicate the floor of the house (red = ground,
blue = 1st, white = attic) etc. so can add different coloured bands for the
garden, outbuildings etc.

Very easy to use, albeit a bit of a pain to cut the tape. Maybe a number of
tape dispensers would be better than scissors ?
Also, as others have commented, very quick and easy to identify cables
without looking at each one to check a written code.

One further point, my CT100 is black, writing on the sheath with anything
other than a white or yellow pen will be particularly difficult to see.
Some of my Cat5 is dark grey, and similar comments apply.

HTH,

Tim H.

+