Re: What the **** is going on!!!???

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: What the **** is going on!!!???
  • From: "alcinababe" <alcinababe@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 12:02:06 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@u...> wrote:

> I have this same issue - I have a couple of socket rockets both of
which
> have become X10 unresponsive - however the triac is not shorted in
either -
> sometimes when I switch the unit on - or toggle the power to it I can
get
> the lamp to come on -and sometimes it stays off. However I cannot
control
> the unit from X10 and I can't reset the house/unit code either. So
it's
> useless.

Yup.  That's the same here.  Though mine always seem to be permanently
'on'.  They just act like they're not there - when I flick the switch the
light comes
on, when I flick it off, the light goes off.  But no X10 command gets
through.

> I have
> to admit that in one case the bulb was an energy efficient bulb - this
> worked for about 16 months and then stopped working.

Oooh....that's interesting.  I thought they wouldn't work at all with an ee
bulb.
16 months is a distinct improvement on the 3 months max mine have lasted!
When I've had the LM15 replaced I think I'll try it with an ee bulb.  I
hate the
light produced by these bulbs, but I simply can't afford 200 pounds a year
(2
units every three months) to replace them every time an incandescent bulb
pops.

> I am not convinced this was as a direct result of
> the EE bulb though and the other one was certainly a blown bulb.

Hmm......mine are internal lights (hallway and landing) and brand spanking
new wiring :)  Does anyone know why you're not supposed to use ee bulbs
with the LM15s?

>             So I do feel there is a design issue in the units that can
> causes the X10 bit to lockup or fail - leaving the load switching
circuitry
> still functional. But I have written my units off as they were being
used
> outside.

Yup.  That was my conculsion too.  Though as Keith says if it's a money
thing
they'll never correct the problem.  I do think they should be sold with a
warning though.

Alcina