Re: Re: Beam Breaks - worthwhile?

Hi Shane

I use beam breaks in a couple of door around the place with 100%
reliability. About now I should say I use them for switching lights not
occupancy detection. If you plan to use the PIR system to do lights you may
well be annoyed by the detection delay which means you have already walked
into something by the time the light comes on. Beam breaks solve this
problem pretty much but are not always suitable depending on your house
layout. Don't forget light level detection if you plan to go for light
control. If it is daylight you may not want to turn on the lights depending
on other factors e.g. ambient light level. Here is some details on this
project http://www.mollyology.com/MyHouseKitchenLights.htm

I have used a very slightly modified version of the Maplin beam breaks (
http://www.maplin.co.uk product code
MK120) and have mounted the IR LEDs
remotely from the PCB boards (cos they are big and ugly). I only use about
6 feet of cable but you could probably mount them further away. The
modification bit means they switch a reed relay rather than sounding a
buzzer.

Ian

Frank Mc Alinden
<fmcalind@bigpond