RE: Sky and free to air

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Sky and free to air
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:57:10 +0100

> Unless they've started re-issuing them in the last few days, there are
no
> longer free cards available. These were provided via Sky by the BBC
whose
> broadcasts are no longer encrypted therefore they no longer need to
> provide
> cards. This means that the other 'terrestrial' channels ITV 1 & 2,
Ch4 and
> Ch5 (which remain encrypted) are now only available on a Sky card,
which
> in
> turn is only available if you subscribe at some level.

As far as I knew they had a legal obligation to provide any FTA/FTV
programming FOC under the legislation brought in when digital launched
although they may have found a way around that but it should still be the
same. Might not be sorted yet though with the BBC changing to the new sat
footprint.

I am sure that Sky are obliged to provide the free content though, hence
you
could always buy a digibox and get the free channels, had it been up to Sky
I very much doubt you would have had anything for free. ;)

K.