Re: Wireless LANs

Just tried the 3com AP with the airpanel...
Still the same problem.
The range is also very poor...

I have a Panasonic PBX in the house with both wired and DECT
extentions. There are 9 DECT "base-stations" around the house -
these are transceivers which are connected to the PBX via cat5.
I wonder if these may be causing problems on the same band as the
802.11 b/g AP's. I see from the review of the Linksys on the HA site
that results differed on changing chanels.

I can get over the range issue with more AP's but the disconnect
thing is a real pain.

Any ideas?

KR
--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, yahoogroups@m... wrote:
> is there an update for the wireless in the airpanel?
>
> as I said earlier, I updated my extreme firmware last night and
bingo... all
> problems gone (so far)
>
> problems you describe are exactly what I had!
>
> hth
>
> p.
>
> Quoting keyvan2r <keyvan@e...>:
>
> > I have just got a Viewsonic 10" Airpanel Smart Display which
seems
> > to show up just how inadequate my wireless network is.
> > I am using the Linksys G WAP and I also have a 3Com 1000 AP.
> > The Viewsonic connects to the Linksys OK but the range is very
poor -
> >  I think - it goes to 1 bar when the unit is about 10 meters
away
> > from the AP.
> > The really annoying thing is the periodic disconnect and
reconnect
> > which happens about every 50 seconds or so during a remote
display.
> > It takes about 1 second to reconnect, the screen goes blank, a
> > windows message appears saying connection lost: attempting to
> > reconnect 2 of 20. The screen then recovers to where it was - if
> > there was a touch (mouse click) it is lost during the
disconnect.
> > Really annoying !
> > The firmware version of Linksys WAP is v1.06 Feb 18 2003.
> > There is no such visible problem using the Linksys G card on the
> > Sony laptop. Although I suspect that even if happens, it is not
> > visible like the viewsonic because the network retries
are "silent" -
> >  I assume!
> > I read in a 3com readme the following:
> > " Frequent re-authentication when using PEAP
> > Early implementations of PEAP by some access point vendors can
> > incorrectly cause the operating system to force a user to
> > re-authenticate frequently.  If you are experiencing frequent
login
> > screens please contact your access point vendor for updated
Access
> > Point firmware."
> > I don't know if that applies here (how early?)
> > I tried changing chanels but it did not seem to make a
difference.
> > I am going to replace the Linksys with the 3com AP to see that
cures
> > the Smart Display issue.
> > It is annoying the hell out me because in all other respects the
> > viewsonic is a very nice product.
> >
> > Keyvan R
> >
> > --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, yahoogroups@m... wrote:
> > > Well, I can tell you that I have problems with my
"G" Card and
> > my "G" WAP...
> > > but that could be because the "G" card is actually
an Apple
> > Airport Extreme...
> > >
> > > As I said before I'm going to wait until Linksys release
their
new
> > firmware
> > > for the WAP, if that doesnt work... I'll probably eBay it
and
get
> > an Apple
> > > Airport basestation instead :-)
> > >
> > > I've had a WAP11 and Orinoco silvers (from either Tony or
Chris's