Re: Wireless LANs

Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG) wrote:

> Ok, I've trawled through the archives and read between the lines of
the posts a bit more and some you have the Linksys WAP11 with Lucent
Orinoco Silver 802.11b cards, sourced though a Dr John bulk buy, correct ?

> What's this setup like to use in practice ? Would you recommend it ?
And where can I get the Orinoco Silver cards in the UK ?

> How many of you are using 802.11b cards with 802.11g APs, and does it
work ? I see Tony & Paul are having trouble with their Belkin &
Linksys 'G' APs. Are 'G' cards and 'G' APs ok ?

> Comments welcome :-)

I am using 802.11a inside as of a few days ago, im wanting to keep as
little as
possible on the 2.4Ghz as I will be putting up a publicly accessable
wireless
accesspoint shortly, and having at least 2 point to point links on the roof
too.

Everyone I have spoken to with G (not many) has had problems with driver
stability. D-link make there airplus series, which with the right firmware
and
drivers has a 4 times mode that gives 44 megabit, this should be enough :)