RE: Wireless LANs

Tim,

LinkSys have said to me "soon" I would therefore reckon within
the next two
months... they are already releasing new firmware for some other G kit - so
the WAP cant be too far away.  TBH I havent tried the WAP with another card
(I
sold all other PC card taking devices when I got the powerbook (couldnt
justify keeping a "ibm compatible" laptop!) so it might work fine
with a
linksys G card.

I have seen somewhere (I'll try and hunt it out) that the WAP WILL NOT WORK
in "mixed mode"  In that mode its either G or B at a time, if a G
card is
connected then as soon as a B card connects, the stream drops to a point of
almost no data transfer - this is not good and something which I hope
LinkSys
will also fix soon.

I think the biggest problem with G is what has been touched on so far in
that
the final G standards have only just been decided, but manufacturers have
been
churning out G kit for quite a while now using their own standards - we are
bound to discover problems like this.  I chose the LinkSys kit as as I
believe
it they are the only people to offer a firmware update to the final G spec
once it was completed.

As always with these things early adopters are the ones who get the
problems -
this hopefully means that because of the early people once the kit comes to
mass market all the problems are ironed out.  I wouldnt forget about G
quite
yet, but I would think carefully about whether you want something that
"just
works" or something that you are prepared to work on and play with
(being
Techy this is what I would class as "fun" - how sad am I!)

HTH

p.

Quoting "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)" <haweste@xxxxxxx>:

> Paul,
>
> Ahh. Not exactly a great experience of "G" kit then. Any
news on when the new
> firmware will be available ? Couple of weeks, or will it be months ?
> Any benefit in changing the card, rather than the AP ?
>
> Good news for WAP11 & the Orinoco card :-)
>
> What's your impression of 802.11g ? A few teething troubles or
something more
> serious ?
> Unfortunately I can't plump for "G" exclusively as I need to
get something
> for my Fuji :-/
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim H.

Airport
> Extreme...
>
> As I said before I'm going to wait until Linksys release their new
firmware
> for the WAP, if that doesnt work... I'll probably eBay it and get an
Apple
> Airport basestation instead :-)
>
> I've had a WAP11 and Orinoco silvers (from either Tony or Chris's BB)
working

<haweste@xxxxxxx>:

> > Guys,
> >
> > Ok, I've trawled through the archives and read between the lines
of the
> posts
> > a bit more and some you have the Linksys WAP11 with Lucent
Orinoco Silver
> > 802.11b cards, sourced though a Dr John bulk buy, correct ?
> >
> > What's this setup like to use in practice ? Would you recommend
it ? And
> > where can I get the Orinoco Silver cards in the UK ?
> >
> > How many of you are using 802.11b cards with 802.11g APs, and
does it work
> ?
> > I see Tony & Paul are having trouble with their Belkin &
Linksys 'G' APs.