RE: Lightning Protection WAS Re: Bloody Lightning!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Lightning Protection WAS Re: Bloody Lightning!
  • From: "Stuart Billinghurst" <stuart@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 21:46:03 +0100

We has a strike alost direct in Nov last year at work.. It hit a lamp post
outside and came in via the BT lines took out most PC's our alarms and out
telecoms.

The company to speak to is called FURSE, they offer a FREE booklet on
lighting protection an how lighting works.. Surge sockets don't relay give
protection from BIG lighting more power spikes and the such.. The truick is
to give it a better rout to go via E.G. EARTH!

Furse make lighting protection infact for your mains incomming you  can
attach a small box as a spur from your incomming lines that has a route to
earth when ther is a spike, you can then get the same for telco and any
other lines that enter the building, outside lines garden lights sat dish
etc..

I gost some pix of the damage I will dig them out tomorrow and post them,
(even took the plaster off the wall!)

the other effect of lighting is a magnetic Pulse this did most damahe to
CRT monitors..

Total cost if damage > =A3200K

Furse are very helpfull though!