X10 Automated Home s/w ?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: X10 Automated Home s/w ?
  • From: "Marcus Warrington" <marcusw@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 18:33:21 +0100

Just bought a job lot of X10 stuff [on impulse] to play with....
(2 TM12U transceiver units, 2 CM12U PC interfaces, 2 HR10 Remote Controls,
4 AM12U Appliance Modules, 7 LM12U Lamp modules and a MT7222 MiniTimer)..
and just realised what I've been missing, boy is this FUN! Plugged a couple
of lamps in and a fan heater (the only appliance I could lay my hands on
quickly) and the kids LOVED it. SWMBO didn't seem quite as excited by it..
she just kept muttering something about "silly toys" and
"when was the
kitchen going to be ready" (.. a on going project that's lasted 2
years
so far ..gulp)

Anyway, the point is I tried using the supplied "Active Home"
software but
it seems to get stuck. All seems well until I manually switch the TM12U's
appliance state (via the front on/off button) and then ask the
"ActiveHome"
software to do a status enquiry.. at this point all communication stops.
The s/w isn't hung, I can click the mouse and flick switches... but the
LM12U and TM12U don't respond. I know the devices are OK, because I can
use the remote control to change them, its seems the software just fails to
send the commands.. (or the CM12U is playing up) ?

Why does the TM12u allow manual on/Off control of the plugged in appliance,
but the AM12U appliance modules don't ? Does this not mean that by using
an AM12U I can ONLY control it via X10 and loose all manual control ?

Since I can have 16 devices on each house code I'm guessing most people use
more than one house code ? I'm thinking maybe having a house code per floor
and/or a house code for lighting and a house code for appliances ?

If I have each floor on a different house code and I want to have a
"All
lights in the house off" button, I assume I'll need a macro to send an
"All Off" command to each house code ? Can this be done with the
HR10 remote?
I'm assuming I'd have to program the CM12U with the macro that would be
activated by a specific command (On/Off) from the HR10 set to a specific
HouseCode/Device ?

Do the CM12U's require a battery in all the time or is it just for backup
while they are removed from the mains. The information I've found implies
that it NEEDS the battery to maintain its memory, if so what happens when
the battery runs out and/or you want to change the battery.. does it loose
everything and have to be reprogrammed ?

Buying this lot has now fired my desire to get the main room lights (not
just lamps) X10 controlled. This doesn't appear to be as straight forward
as I'd hoped. The house has just been rewired and unfortunately non of the
switches have a neutral, it would also be pretty much impossible to pull
a neutral wire. So what choices do I have ? I've heard talk of mounting
the X10 unit in the floor void, but apparently I would need to have access
to change fuses, so its probably not a very feasible plan.
Looking at the AW12/AWM2/TMA4/TMA4D units (..pricey) they don't appear
to have a fuse..?

I'll stop there.. the more questions I'm asking, the more new ones I'm
starting to think of :)

Marcus Warrington
marcusw@xxxxxxx MIS Computer Services (UK)