Re: Very Interesting - New US X10 Product

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Very Interesting - New US X10 Product
  • From: "automatedhomeuk" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 14:39:09 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Mark McCall" <lists@a...> wrote:
> http://www.smarthome.com/4827.html

Just read this review of it on the US newsgroup...

M.

I'm not generally a fan of SmartHome because of some problems with
their
SwitchLinc stuff a while ago and the institutional arrogance that
led them
to declare X10-branded stuff "Not X10-compatible."  Cute, real
cute.  Do a
search on my nom-de-plume in groups.google.com and you'll see I
don't cut
them any slack.

But they have some winners, sometimes.  Their catalog and website
are good,
their prices a bit high but with fantastic selection, and like
Sharper
Image they have some own-brand stuff that's quite different and,
once in a
while, very useful.

For example, the FilterLinc filters are in my experience more
effective
than the standard 5 Amp X10- and Leviton filters, handle double the
power,
and have a pass-through (though that's not necessarily real helpful
all the
time.)

I got one of the first SignalLinc units, back when they had cords.
Works
too.  Not great - it's not an active unit - but does work.

Similarly, the LampLinc adds some real nice controls to the standard
X10
lamp modules, such as adjustable ramp rates and preset dim, at an
affordable price.  But... it has LOWER sensitivity than my cheap
Magnovox
lamp modules.  And with my wiring closet so far off the beaten
circuits,
I've been suffering some transmission woes too.  (Actually, the real
problem is that I built Dave's BX24-AHT unit but could never find a
50-ohm
balun... probably a parsing error on my part... and never connected
it to
an antenna.)

So the BoosterLinc seemed like a potential winner.  It arrived today.

The set-up: RF transmitter (used for testing) a long way away, on an
outside wall due to a bizarre wiring pattern for my house.  Magnovox
lamp
module responds reliably to it, LampLinc is very hit-and-miss.  It
reads
one flakey bar on my Elk ESM-1.

Plugged the BoosterLinc in several rooms away, at a point I know can
get
cleaner signal from the RF transmitter.  Tried again.

Full very powerful signal on the ESM-1, and the LampLinc responds
well.

Moved BoosterLinc downstairs, RF closer to MBR so that the Stick-A-
Switches
can respond again.  Tested everything, including macros.  Everything
worked
flawlessly, better than before.

I'm surprised, but glad, that I took the $99 gamble.  This thing
really
pumps out the signal, I think a good deal more than the PSC05 and
TM751.

Lastly, form-factor: It appears to be in an unmodified PowerLinc
case; the
LED is just on an RJ-11 type plug, labelled "Interface Cable".
Same
pass-through as on their other device.

BoosterLinc web page: http://www.smarthome.com/4827.html

Additional questions may be emailed to tony  at  kittycentral
period net.
Or asked here.