Re: Capacitor Selection

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Capacitor Selection
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 12:17:31 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)"=20
<haweste@a...> wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> I'm need to buy a couple of radial capacitors but am unsure as to=20
what some of the specs mean. I know I need a 25V, 2200=B5F unit but=20
what about leakage current ?

My opinions:

These sound like power supply caps, so leakage current is almost=20
irrelevant.  But for a cap of 2200uF, I'd have thought that 4ua=20
would be a hard to achieve value.

Heat kills electrolytics, and designers (including me) always put=20
them next to things that get hot.  Thus a higher temp rated one is=20
good.  The same is not true of voltage with electrolytics; try not=20
to go too OTT.  Thats hard (but less important) with little caps=20
(10uF often are 63v rated and used on 5v) but with biggies try to be=20
over but not by more than a factor of a couple of times.

But to put everyone out of their misery, see some typical cap specs=20
at http://www.uei.com.tw/prodlist/lsh.html