[OT] Comparative costs of running TFT vs CRT monitors

  • To: "Ukha_D@xxxxxxx Com" <UKHA_D@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [OT] Comparative costs of running TFT vs CRT monitors
  • From: "Jon Whiten" <jon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 15:06:37 +0100

Whilst running PCs 24/7 at home offers real convenience benefits (weather
stations, music servers, home automation, ...) it obviously has an impact
on
the old leccy bill and anything that can be done to reduce this is a
benefit.  In the past I have switched the monitor on/off as required but
managed to kill one this way.

To this end has anybody come across any data discussing the merits of TFT
monitors over CRT?  I am particularly interested in establishing the
electricity cost reduction over say 3 or 4 years rather than getting
involved in the factoring in of other issues such as heat (TFT means more
heating required in winter and CRT means more cooling (Air-con) in summer).

Also, where can I find out what TCO99, TCO2003, ..., whatever, means?

Regards,

Jon
http://www.whiten.co.uk/